Weekly Reflection-EdCamp

In this week’s class, we were broken into multiple groups where each group has a different topic that’s related to teaching. My group was the “Mental Health Group.”

We mainly focused on how to support students’ mental health and how do we know when they need help from teachers. There were various solutions mentioned, here are some strategies I would use in a classroom.

-Use colourful figures from the movie Insideout which each colour represents a different emotion (ex. red is anger, blue is sad, green is happy…). We can make some papercuts of these colours for students, they may choose one or more colours to put on their desks to represent their emotions.

-We can give students a survey at the beginning of the semester so that we can know more about them.

-Have a conversation/survey individually. This is where we can ask students to write down or talk about something they wish the teacher would know. Provide a private space and an opportunity for them to tell their feelings.

-Build strong relationships with students so that they will have more trust in teachers, and they will tell you things they normally wouldn’t.

I think this a great opportunity for my classmates and I to discuss a topic that we are all interested in. There were lots of stories, experiences and methods brought out within the breakout groups. I really love the idea of letting people who share the same interest joining together to share and brainstorm.

Photo by Scott Goodwill on Unsplash